AboutTheologian. Born and raised in Germany. Lived, worked and learned in South Africa (1987–1998), England (2001–2009) and Fiji (1998–2001; and again from 2010 to mid-2021). Worked as a lecturer at the University of Natal [Pietermaritzburg, South Africa] (later: KwaZulu-Natal); University of the North [Mankweng, South Africa] (later: University of Limpopo); Eastern Region Ministry Course and Cambridge Theological Federation [Cambridge, UK]; Pacific Theological College [Suva, Fji]. In October 2021, I moved to Papua New Guinea to work as a lecturer at the Senior-Flierl-Seminary, Logaweng, Finschhafen, Morobe Province.
EducationStudied theology in Germany (Wuppertal, Bochum, Heidelberg, 1984–1987) and South Africa (Pietermaritzburg, 1989–1998). BA(Hons), MA and PhD, University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Work Shared in CORE
Other PublicationsEdited books
Coursebooks (distance education) and other teaching tools
- Nokise, Feleterika, and Holger Szesnat, eds. 2015. Oceanic Voyages in Theology and Theological Education: Reflections and Reminiscences in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Pacific Theological College. Suva, Fiji Islands: Pacific Theological College. (iv+168pp.) https://archive.org/details/oceanicvoyagesptc
Electronic books (self-published)
Journal articles (peer reviewed)
- Document and Referencing Style Guide for the Pacific Theological College. (2012–; annual updates since then). (42 pp.) http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/3p2t-8d47
- Study skills for theology (Foundation degree course, Cambridge Theological Federation, UK, 2009).
- Introduction to the Bible (Bachelor degree course, Pacific Theological College, Fiji, 2008; second ed. 2012).
Journal articles and book chapters (not peer-reviewed)
- “Some Witnesses Have …”: The Representation of the New Testament Text in English Bible Versions. TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism 12 (2007), 1-18. (http://purl.org/TC)
- Philo and Female Homoeroticism: Philo’s Use of ΓΥΝΑΝΔΡΟΣ and Recent Work on Tribades. Journal for the Study of Judaism 30.2 (1999) 140-147. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/ksty-ec67
- ‘Pretty Boys’ in Philo’s De Vita Contemplativa. Studia Philonica Annual 10 (1998) 87-107. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/vq9f-mq84
- ‘Mostly Aged Virgins’: Philo and the Presence of the Therapeutrides at Lake Mareotis. Neotestamentica 32 (1998) 191-201. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/n15c-p397
- Human Sexuality, History, and Culture: Some Methodological Problems of Studying ‘Sexuality’ in the New Testament and its World. Scriptura 62 (1997) 335-361. https://doi.org/10.7833/62-0-626
- The Concept of Class and the Social-Scientific Interpretation of the New Testament: Some Observations on the Analysis of Pauline Christianity in the Context of the Society of the Early Roman Principate. Nederduitse Gereformeerde Teologiese Tydskrif 38 (1997) 70-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/zaxk-2340
- In Fear of Androgyny: Theological Reflections on Masculinity and Sexism, Male Homosexuality and Homophobia, Romans 1:24-27 and Hermeneutics (A Response to Alexander Venter). Journal of Theology for Southern Africa 93 (1995) 32-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/hcyp-fr20
- Greek ‘Homosexuality’: Whither the Debate? Akroterion 39 (1994) 46-63. [co-author; with Michael Lambert] https://doi.org/10.7445/39-2-521
- What Did the ΣΚΗΝΟΠΟΙΟΣ Paul Produce? Neotestamentica 27 (1993) 391-402. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/gxef-7527
Dissertations / theses
- Gender-based Violence and Ephesians 5: Reflections on the Ethics, Hermeneutics and Didactics of a Community Bible Study in Suva, Fiji. In Oceanic Voyages in Theology and Theological Education: Reflections and Reminiscences in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Pacific Theological College, edited by Feleterika Nokise and Holger Szesnat, 133-168. Suva, Fiji Islands: Pacific Theological College (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M6BQ3M
- A Church-State Covenant on the Environment? Pacific Journal of Theology 44 (2010) 30-56.
- Who Knows? Wikipedia, Teaching and Research. SBL Forum 4 (9). http://www.sbl-site.org/Article.aspx?ArticleId=603
- Representing ‘the Text’ in Pacific Bible Translations. Pacific Journal of Theology 26 (2001) 21-54.
- [Three encyclopaedia entries on St Paul; Josephus Flavius; and Philo of Alexandria.] In: Haggerty, G E (ed) 2000. Gay Histories and Cultures: An Encyclopedia. New York: Garland. https://archive.org/details/encyclopediaofga00ghag
- Der Inselstaat ist tief gespalten. Der Überblick: Zeitschrift für Ökumenische Begegnung und Internationale Zusammenarbeit 36 (3/2000): 80-85. [co-author; with Manfred Ernst] http://www.der-ueberblick.de/ueberblick.archiv/one.ueberblick.article/ueberblickbf66.html?entry=page.200003.080
- The Essentialist – Social Constructionist Debate and Biblical Research. In: De Gruchy, S & Germond, P (eds) 1997. Aliens in the Household of God: Homosexuality and Christian Faith in South Africa. Cape Town: David Philip. 270-94.
- New Testament exegesis and sociology: a critique of Gerd Theissen’s ‘Sociology of early Palestinian Christianity’. BA(Hons) dissertation. University of Natal. Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. (November 1989). Internal examiner: Prof. J.A. Draper (University of Natal). 61pp.
- The Apostle Paul and His Community in Corinth: A Study in Selected Issues of Socio-Economic Context and Practice. MA thesis, University of Natal (January 1992). Internal examiner: Prof. J.A. Draper (University of Natal); external examiner: Prof. C.A. Wanamaker (University of Cape Town). 294pp.
- Sexual Desire, ‘Deviant Behaviour’, and Moral Discourse in the Writings of Paul and Philo: An Historical-Exegetical Study of the Moral Problematisation of Sexual Desire and Behaviour in First-Century Hellenistic Judaism and Christianity, With Special Reference to the Work of Michel Foucault. PhD dissertation, University of Natal (August 1998). Supervisor and internal examiner: Prof. J.A. Draper (University of Natal); external examiners: Prof. L.W. Countryman (CDSP, Berkeley, USA), Prof. S.E. Fowl (Loyola College in Maryland, Baltimore, USA). 364pp.
- Several articles (in progress) on the topic of The Story of Entrusted Money in the Gospels according to Matthew, Luke, and the non-canonical ‘Gospel Written in Hebrew Characters’.
- Article (in progress): Leserlenkung and Troubling Gaps in the Story of the Workers in the Vineyard.
- Article (in progress): Plagiarism and Theological Education.
- New Testament Society of South Africa
- Society of Biblical Literature