AboutResearch specialist in the history of the Russian revolution, Soviet trade unions, Soviet political struggle in the 1920s, and Stalinist repressions. Teach Russian & Soviet history, European history, the Holocaust, global history, and oral history methods.
My publications include a political biography, two edited collections of documents I translated from Russian to English, five chapters in edited collections, eight articles in peer-reviewed academic journals, seventeen other articles, and twenty-four book reviews. I have presented at thirty conferences and made a dozen invited presentations to audiences outside La Salle University. I have taught around twenty distinct courses at La Salle University using interactive methods as well as lecture. I have taught online and face to face.
I first traveled to the Soviet Union in 1988 and have spent about 2 1/2 years in Russia, Kazakstan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and Georgia on multiple trips. I carried out academic research in Moscow in 1990-91, 1995, and 2012; and in Kyiv in 2017. I am proficient in reading, writing, and speaking Russian and have some introductory knowledge of Spanish, French, and German.
I grew up in rural North Carolina and have lived in Indiana, Arizona, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, in addition to time spent abroad.
- Ph.D. in Russian and Soviet History, 2001, Indiana University Bloomington.
- M.A. in Russian and Soviet History, 1992, Indiana University Bloomington.
- B.A. in Modern European History, 1989, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Work Shared in CORE
- “Lenin and the Bolsheviks in 1917.” The Bloomsbury Handbook of the Russian Revolution. Edited by Geoffrey Swain et al. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2023.
- The Workers’ Opposition in the Russian Communist Party: Documents, 1919-30. Editor and translator. xvi+944 pp. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2022. Paper ISBN 9781642597820.
- The Workers’ Opposition in the Russian Communist Party: Documents, 1919-30. Editor and translator. xvi+944 pp. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill, 2021. Cloth ISBN-13: 978-90-04-24850-2. E-ISBN: 978-90-04-24851-9.
- Leaflets of the Russian Revolution: Socialist Organizing in 1917. Editor and translator. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2018. xiii+152 pp. Cloth ISBN-13: 9781608465477. Paper ISBN-13: 9781608469703. Ebook ISBN-13: 9781642590173.
- Alexander Shlyapnikov, 1885-1937: Life of an Old Bolshevik. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2016. xiv+426 pp. Paper ISBN-13: 9781608465583.
- Alexander Shlyapnikov, 1885-1937: Life of an Old Bolshevik. Cloth & Ebook. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill, 2015. xiv+426 pp. Cloth ISBN-13: 9789004248533. E-ISBN: 9789004248540.
(Barbara C. Allen: Historian, Teacher, Translator,
- The Memoir-Histories of Bolshevik Alexander Shlyapnikov in Translation. Edited set of translations. Projected eight-volume set to be published in cloth by Brill and in paperback by Haymarket Books. Volume 1 under contract.
- Forthcoming: “The Workers’ Opposition and the Trade Union Debate.” New Perspectives on the 10th Party Congress, March 1921: Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary. Edited by Clayton Black and Alexis Pogorelskin.
- The NKVD’s fabricated case against the Workers’ Opposition in Ukraine during the Great Terror.
Upcoming Talks and Conferences“Research Methods in the Soviet Political Police Archive” roundtable participant. 55th Annual Convention of the ASEEES, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,November 30 – December 3, 2023.
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
- Association of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES)
- Association for Women in Slavic Studies (AWSS)
- Southern Conference on Slavic Studies (SCSS)
- Study Group on the Russian Revolution (SGRR)