Archival Description of Notated Music
- Music Library Association (view group) , Sofía Becerra-Licha, John Bewley, Maristella Feustle, Vincent J. Novara, Matthew Snyder, Karen Spicher, Elizabeth Surles
- Music Library Association
- Library science, Information science, Archives--Study and teaching, Library education, Music libraries, Metadata
- Item Type:
- Online publication
- Archival metadata standards, Music Cataloging, Descriptive metadata standards, Archival description, Cataloging standards, Library and information science, Archival studies, Library and Archival Studies
- Permanent URL:
- A guide to archival description of notated music, co-published by the Music Library Association and Society of American Archivists (SAA). Intended for use in conjunction with SAA’s Describing Archives: A Content Standard. Includes a broad overview of music description in an archival context, an extensive discussion and bibliography of related resources and companion standards, a glossary featuring music and archives terminology, and examples drawn from existing collections and finding aids.
- Appendix B, Guidelines for Archival Description of Notated Music, contains extensions to rules for archival description found in Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS) and examples of their application for the description of notated music. These guidelines are endorsed by the Society of American Archivists as an external standard and supplement to DACS and the most recent version is available here: http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/9h2n-vx81.
- Last Updated:
- 2 years ago
Item Name: archdescofnotatedmusic-2020.pdf Download View in browser Activity: Downloads: 220