A Multidimensional Approach to Definitions
- Steve McCarty (see profile)
- Digital Pedagogy
- Universities and colleges--Curricula, Communication of technical information, Culture, Linguistics
- Item Type:
- Definitions, context, Disciplinarity, Technical communication
- Permanent URL:
- Three parts of a 2014 presentation at the National Museum of Ethnology Linguistics Circle in Osaka are compiled in this PDF file. 1st page: Abstract of the presentation "A Multidimensional Approach to Definitions, Applied to e-Learning in Language Education"; 2nd page: Chart "Contextualizing fields and terms in their fuller dimensionality: Example of e-Learning and Language Learning"; and 3rd page: "Definitions Worksheet: Choose a field and concept, then see if this diagram helps you define them in fuller dimensionality" for readers to try.
- Seeing dictionary definitions as circular and lacking full dimensionality, the author has developed a method in published papers and presentations (linked from his Slideshare and e-portfolio sites) to help decide correct definitions, particularly of technical terms in new fields, by contextualizing concepts into their cultural/institutional, disciplinary, and historical/temporal contexts.
- Last Updated:
- 4 years ago
Item Name: multidimensional_definitions.pdf Download View in browser Activity: Downloads: 52