Zen and Esoteric Buddhism Papers
- Steve McCarty (see profile)
- Buddhist Studies, Premodern Japanese History
- Buddhism, China, Japan, Tantrism, Taoism, Liberty, Enlightenment
- Item Type:
- Symbolism, Kukai, Rinzai, Chinese Buddhism, Japanese Buddhism, Taoism (Daoism), Indian religions, Freedom
- Permanent URL:
- Two papers on the Jungian psychology of Asian religions from M.A. coursework at the University of Hawaii in 1978. "Equations of Freedom with Enlightenment" analyzes Chinese Buddhism, Taoism, and Zen as to the meaning of liberation. Then "This World as a Symbolic Body of the Buddha" analyzes the Shingon Buddhist cosmology of Kukai and its Tantric predecessors in India, culminating in the notion of Buddhahood in this body.
- There are some youthful excesses along with provocative perspectives, but the papers are shared here in case they may spark reflection or insight.
- Last Updated:
- 4 years ago
Item Name: zen_and_esoteric_buddhism_papers.pdf Download View in browser Activity: Downloads: 210