The Origins of Colbrond in Richardson's "Pamela"
- Michael L. Hays (see profile)
- Richardson, Samuel, 1689-1761, Fiction, Eighteenth century
- Item Type:
- Pamela, Colbrond, Samuel Richardson, 18th-century novel
- Permanent URL:
- This paper traces the name "Colbrond" to the chivalric romance "Guy of Warwick" and compares his description with grotesque descriptions like those in "The Wedding of Sir Gawain and Dame Ragnell" and to other features common in chivalric romances. It concludes by interpreting the use of his figure in making Lord B's realization of virtue plausible and thereby worthy of Pamela.
- The paper is a revision of a 1973 paper.
- Last Updated:
- 5 years ago
- All Rights Reserved
Item Name: 2018-03-01-the-origins-of-colbrond-in-richardsons-pamela.doc Download Activity: Downloads: 112