The Speculative Situation
- Matthew Kirschenbaum (see profile)
- #TransformDH, Digital Humanities, LLC 20th- and 21st-Century American, TC Popular Culture, TC Science and Literature
- Culture--Study and teaching, Digital media, Philosophy, Speculative fiction
- Item Type:
- feminist technoscience, Futurism, media archaeology, new materialism, speculative realism, Cultural studies, Environmental humanities
- Permanent URL:
- Syllabus for ENGL 758D, The Speculative Situation, graduate seminar in the University of Maryland English department, Fall 2017.
- For more than a generation now, literary and cultural studies have operated amid the horizon of a historical turn—a sweeping deference to the almost palpable specificity of an acknowledged past, this deference governing projects across all major genres and periods. Increasingly, however, we see signs of what a 2011 volume of Continental philosophy named the speculative turn—or better, perhaps, acknowledging the Latin root speculat- (“to observe from a vantage point”), a speculative situation.
- Last Updated:
- 6 years ago
- All Rights Reserved
Item Name: the-speculative-situation-syllabus.docx Download Activity: Downloads: 439